Bean Bean
  • Webmaster
  • Webmaster
  • From Zürich
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 2013/12/12 10:54
OS Optimization #1
Hey Guys!!

When I went (and took part in ) to the Smash and Trash 13 Overclocking session, I saw something new to me. Everyone there was running atleast two Operating Systems, Usually Win7 and XP. I noticed they used them for two different purposes, some Benchmarks run better in one, some better in the other. I also heard a fair bit about OS Optimization and saw people going into msconfig, killing this, disabling that etc. I suppose a lot of this was to slim down the OS to make it as efficient as possible. I've personally never done this, and only run stock Win7 Pro on my Bench drive that I am using in my Overclocking Progess Thread.
I would like to now install both Win7 and Xp on the same drive to dual boot so I can start running my SuperPi 32M's in XP.
To my question; I've no clue whatsoever how to go about optimizing my OS's. Does anyone have a guide? Maybe a walk through or some hints/tips that I can use to slim down and speed up my OS's for optimal benching?

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for the feedback

Bean 3930K on RIVE @4.5ghz - 16gb Gskill Ripjaw Z - 780 Ghz Edition - Corsair AX850 - assorted SSD's and Mech drives.
rewarder rewarder
  • Webmaster
  • Webmaster
  • From Zürich CH
  • Group: Registered Users Webmasters
  • Posted on: 2013/12/12 11:18
Re: OS Optimization #2
Quote:

Bean wrote:
Hey Guys!!

When I went (and took part in ) to the Smash and Trash 13 Overclocking session, I saw something new to me. Everyone there was running atleast two Operating Systems, Usually Win7 and XP. I noticed they used them for two different purposes, some Benchmarks run better in one, some better in the other. I also heard a fair bit about OS Optimization and saw people going into msconfig, killing this, disabling that etc. I suppose a lot of this was to slim down the OS to make it as efficient as possible. I've personally never done this, and only run stock Win7 Pro on my Bench drive that I am using in my Overclocking Progess Thread.
I would like to now install both Win7 and Xp on the same drive to dual boot so I can start running my SuperPi 32M's in XP.
To my question; I've no clue whatsoever how to go about optimizing my OS's. Does anyone have a guide? Maybe a walk through or some hints/tips that I can use to slim down and speed up my OS's for optimal benching?

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for the feedback

Bean

Great thread! I would also like to know more about this topic. This is definitely the department of TaPaKaH, Chris, Michel, splmann an Hiwa Gogo guys, your help is needed
LucaRocchi LucaRocchi
  • Started insulating
  • Started insulating
  • From Milan, IT
  • Posted on: 2013/12/12 11:28
Re: OS Optimization #3
Each clocker has his own tweak-ritual

I use usually a very light XP (with killed most of services and sometimes also explorer ) for 2D stuff. SPi, wPrime, PIFast and CPU-Z. For the rest, I use W7. But like I said, I have seen clockers in my team with also Vista

But first of all, disable all useless controller in BIOS..I mean, use a specific profile. Then, i'm right some tweaks depend also from what CPU you are using and if is old or not. BTW the most famous (and discussed?) tweak is the Copy Wazza for SPI32M.

But I'm not a big clocker..so

rewarder rewarder
  • Webmaster
  • Webmaster
  • From Zürich CH
  • Posted on: 2013/12/17 17:01
Re: OS Optimization #4
I guess there are quite a few tweaking guides for SuperPi around.
OS Optimization [Benchmarks] - ocaholic