Browsing this Thread: 1 Anonymous Users
Francesco Daghini Francesco Daghini
  • Hardware murderer
  • Hardware murderer
  • From Milan
  • Group: Webmasters
  • Posted on: 2015/3/18 17:45
[Project log] Back to the ATX wonderland #1

Hi guys! As a few of you might know, I switched to a mini-ITX based right a couple years ago, basically since the Bitfenix Prodigy came out in blue version.

I've decided to get back on and ATX rig because I really like the NZXT S340 case and I feel like I need an upgrade when it comes to cooling and airlfow. This is what I'm using:

CPU Intel Core i5 2500K + Antec Kuhler 950
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77 UD5H
RAM Corsair 2x4GB 1600MHz
GPU MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
PSU Corsair HX650
Storage SSD Kingston Fury 120GB + Samsung 830 64GB + HDD Seagate Barracuda 2TB

I'm thinking about getting another GTX 970 if I ever get the chance to buy a decent monitor, since I'm still using a 1680x1050 Acer display.

If I ever get the chance, I'd also like to make a custom cooling system for CPU and GPU, but that could be a problem since the case is not exactly design for this kind of stuff, but I think I could make it work.

What do you guys think? Leaving my dear Prodigy is kind of an hard thing to do but I knew I had to do it at some point, but I'm already thinking about an HTPC for my bedroom so I could re-use it.
LucaRocchi LucaRocchi
  • Started insulating
  • Started insulating
  • From Milan, IT
  • Group: Registered Users Webmasters
  • Posted on: 2015/3/18 23:24
Re: [Project log] Back to the ATX wonderland #2
Well S340 is not watercooling friendly but there is still some good space inside. I think there is enough space a couple of rads and a combo res+pump somewhere, maybe where there is the white big plate.

Gigabyte Z77 UD5H is blue and black, have you still around my blue alchemy? Should fit good!
rewarder rewarder
  • Webmaster
  • Webmaster
  • From Zürich CH
  • Posted on: 2015/3/19 9:28
Aw: [Project log] Back to the ATX wonderland #3
I liked my time with the Prodigy. But at some point I also felt that I had to move on. MiniITX builds are cool, but rather sooner than later (in my case) the point came, where I wanted to put more hardware into the case. In the end also the Prodigy is only a MiniITX case, so space is limited. Bottom line this is the reason why I'm using a huge benchtable in the office and a Corsair 750D in the flat. That being said, I perfectly understand why you feel the need of switching to an ATX case again.

What I don't really get is, why on earth you want to put two GTX 970 into your rig? If you really plan on spending more on VGA's then I'd recommend you to sell the GTX 970 you already have and go for one awesome GTX 980 custom.

Hmm ... the case ... I don't know ... I think there are nicer cases than the S340 from NZXT. I would honestly much rather go with an H440, since there you actually get some aluminum. The S340 feels somehow cheap and if I would be building a rig for myself based on that case, I'd be changing it after a few months.
LucaRocchi LucaRocchi
  • Started insulating
  • Started insulating
  • From Milan, IT
  • Posted on: 2015/4/5 16:33
Re: [Project log] Back to the ATX wonderland #4
Teaserrrrr

Resized Image
LucaRocchi LucaRocchi
  • Started insulating
  • Started insulating
  • From Milan, IT
  • Posted on: 2015/4/9 13:10
Re: [Project log] Back to the ATX wonderland #5
..and all the others

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Some detail

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image
rewarder rewarder
  • Webmaster
  • Webmaster
  • From Zürich CH
  • Posted on: 2015/4/10 10:40
Re: [Project log] Back to the ATX wonderland #6
I have to say, it looks really nice! Clean and simple!
[Project log] Back to the ATX wonderland [Build Logs / Projects] - ocaholic