Jestar Jestar
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Alpignano
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 2013/8/12 8:25
introduction to destruction: watercooling 2 gtx 690 #1
Hello everybody,
I'm glad to introduce myself to you and, as first posting on this platform, ask for some informations about watercooling 2 gtx690.

actually the temps are a little too high to keep me comfortable with them and no other modification can be thrown into the case (corsair carbide 540) to cool them down.

so, I'm getting right to the point. would a xspc ax360 be able to chill those two beasts? my intention is not to include cpu, vrm or anything else in the loop and the space in the front of the case should be enough to accomodate the tripple rad.

hoping for your advices, I cheer you
Jestar

ps. sorry for bad english. It's been a while since I've used it.

UPDATE:

what has been defined up now:

-single 360 40mm circa thick rad (ax360 xspc)
-pump and res in the back of the case
-2x xspc razor gtx690 WB or else (every advice is wellcome)

fittings, tubings and so on still to be decided

experience with custom water loops? 0
Edited by Jestar on 2013/8/12 19:45:43
LucaRocchi LucaRocchi
  • Started insulating
  • Started insulating
  • From Milan, IT
  • Group: Registered Users Webmasters
  • Posted on: 2013/8/12 8:30
Re: introduction to destruction: watercooling 2 gtx 690 #2
Hi Emanuele, welcome here
What is the full kit list?
rewarder rewarder
  • Webmaster
  • Webmaster
  • From Zürich CH
  • Posted on: 2013/8/12 8:31
Re: introduction to destruction: watercooling 2 gtx 690 #3
Hi and a very warm welcome to ocaholic Jestar!

With the Carbide 540 I would go for two radiators: 1 x 360 in the front and 1 x 240 in the top. This should then be enough to keep the two 690 cool.
LucaRocchi LucaRocchi
  • Started insulating
  • Started insulating
  • From Milan, IT
  • Posted on: 2013/8/12 8:34
Re: introduction to destruction: watercooling 2 gtx 690 #4
ouch, he has H100 on top if i'm right
Jestar Jestar
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Alpignano
  • Posted on: 2013/8/12 8:52
Re: introduction to destruction: watercooling 2 gtx 690 #5
thanks for the pieces of advice and for wellcoming me .
It's a pity that xspc dosen't make an ax280 I'm in love with that rad and would be a perfect match to set in the top of the case.

anyway, is there any rad able to work in direct series with the next one? I'll try to explain myself a little better:

My idea of the loop starts from the rear end of the case, where the res/pump would be attached, then goes down and runs on the floor all the way to the front of the case, than gets into the 360 rad and goes up to the top, where it gets into the 280 top rad, than gets back in the 360, to the gtxs and than back in the res/pump.

I can draw it if needed (sorry if this explanation sounds unclear)and that's not an underextimation of your intelligence

jestar
Jestar Jestar
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Alpignano
  • Posted on: 2013/8/12 8:55
Re: introduction to destruction: watercooling 2 gtx 690 #6
for the guts of hell! I forgot to cool the cpu in all of this
rewarder rewarder
  • Webmaster
  • Webmaster
  • From Zürich CH
  • Posted on: 2013/8/12 9:10
Re: introduction to destruction: watercooling 2 gtx 690 #7
Do you mean some special kind of bridge for inbetween the rads?
Jestar Jestar
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Alpignano
  • Posted on: 2013/8/12 9:23
Re: introduction to destruction: watercooling 2 gtx 690 #8
yep in the way that one flows into the other and back so that it becomes a 'kind of' 600x120mm rad
madness777 madness777
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Slovenia
  • Posted on: 2013/8/12 9:28
Re: introduction to destruction: watercooling 2 gtx 690 #9
Reading through this thread, I'm sort of missing some information. So, here goes...
What are your temps through all cores? Are they really that hot? Cuz watercooling is gonna cost you a lot.

To quote you:
''My idea of the loop starts from the rear end of the case, where the res/pump would be attached, then goes down and runs on the floor all the way to the front of the case, than gets into the 360 rad and goes up to the top, where it gets into the 280 top rad, than gets back in the 360, to the gtxs and than back in the res/pump.''

First off, you're going to have trouble mounting a 360 with a 240, there will be little or no space in between the two. Besides, I think a 360 rad will easily keep them cool with push or pull configuration, with good fans of course. Also, I think you won't be able to fit push/pull cuz the cards are too long. It's close even with push or pull config, would be interesting if you could pull it off.

I can't understand this:
''gets into the 360 rad and goes up to the top, where it gets into the 280 top rad, than gets back in the 360''

How the hell would this work? It won't work. It goes in 1 rad and comes out, so it would go into the 360, then the 240 and into the cards, which would be a bad idea, cuz the warm water would go to the front first. You would want it the other way around.

Sticking to single 360 config, it's the best idea with this case dude. It's still not confirmed cuz if the length of the cards... It's gonna be close. So, first, measure the amount of space you have in the front, till you hit the cards, then we'll talk.
Jestar Jestar
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Alpignano
  • Posted on: 2013/8/12 9:49
Re: introduction to destruction: watercooling 2 gtx 690 #10
thanks, I see the points you're making

let's troubleshoot my problems one by one:

step 1: conflicts
the 2 "front side" gpus get the air from the front fans stopping the heat they're trying to outtake and temps goes up so that gpu '1' and gpu '3' run at 78°in full load while gpu '0' and gpu '2' run at 65° because are pushing hot air trough the back of the case and this explains why I'm thinking about watercooling.

step 2: would that fit?
I think so. I have 50mm by the cards and the actual fans (sp120 corsair)so maybe not a super fat rad, but a regular one or a 'just fatter than thin' should fit. as I wrote I was considering the ax 360 from xspc that is 40mm thick.

step 3: wat?
about the loop I was fooled by my memory. I thaught I have seen in the past a rad that was able to intake and outtake from any port on any side to the point where in and out just had to be on left and right and everithing else was left to the imagination of the builder. about spaces in the case, the 540 seems to allow similar configs but it still has to be tested.

your advice to go with a single 360 comforts me much. considering the fact that the ares II cools down 2 gpus (and 500W against 350 from the 690) with a single 120 fat rad, it's logic to think that a single 360 is enough.

thank you
jestar
introduction to destruction: watercooling 2 gtx 690 [Build Logs / Projects] - ocaholic