« 1 (2)
gandharvmohan gandharvmohan
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Mohan
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 2015/5/27 14:01
Re: Topic of the Week: AMD Game Optimisation ! #11
AMD just need to focus on software side as they already ahve good hardware. But problem is that they are struggling while marketing their GPUs.
They should work with developers to get the software optimized and AMD logo before game starts.
End user is gonna be benefited with the increasing competition. So its a win-win situation for us if they get more competitive.
rewarder rewarder
  • Webmaster
  • Webmaster
  • From Zürich CH
  • Group: Registered Users Webmasters
  • Posted on: 2015/5/28 7:22
Re: Topic of the Week: AMD Game Optimisation ! #12
Quote:

Mark011 wrote:
I think that AMD got their last chance to compete on high level with their 300 GPU SERIES, NVIDIA is too far away, and i think AMD knows that, that's why it's pushing on consoles and on low/medium level graphic cards/apu, too mutch games are optimized for NVIDIA, they also have too mutch feature that AMD doesn't have, next months will be important for understand where AMD will go in graphic card market, i hope they will rise up the competition realeasing some good cards to compete with GTX980/980Ti. Let's see

Regarding your point that AMD is pushing in the console/entry-level market: Well I would necessarily mention these two in the same phrase. In the case of consoles it is Microsoft and Sony who tell their manufacturer (in this case AMD) what the want. AMD has then to meet their demand. If AMD or whoever is able to offer an interesting deal, then Microsoft and Sony will be interested and buy chips. When it comes to consoles, there must be entry-level chips, otherwise the console would be too expensive in the end.

Apart from that AMD has always been a chip maker as well. The problem there is that their struggling a lot to keep up with Intel in terms of IPC and on top of that AMD was bound to Globalfoundries for a long time and sutck with 32nm process technology. In the mean time their main competitor was pushing towards 22nm and now 14nm pulling away like a rocket. At this point I don't even want to start writing about architectural improvements ...

I share your opinion that the launch of the new high-end graphics cards is very important. Checking market research papers from Jon Peddie Research it becomes clear that AMD really needs to score if they don't want to lose even more ground to NVIDIA. I'm really hoping AMD is working on something like a full package. If I had some wishes free I would hope such a package includes DX12 optimization, a game bundle and a ridiculously fast card thanks to HBM memory

Quote:

gandharvmohan wrote:
AMD just need to focus on software side as they already ahve good hardware. But problem is that they are struggling while marketing their GPUs.
They should work with developers to get the software optimized and AMD logo before game starts.
End user is gonna be benefited with the increasing competition. So its a win-win situation for us if they get more competitive.

Closer cooperation with game developers would definitely be something I'd love to see from AMD. When they first launched their game bundles, that was just epic and I was hoping to see that being taken to the next level, by for example some kind of co-development of games.

On another note: we just posted another news regarding Slightly Mad Studios toying around with DX12. It looks like DX12 is really going to have a strong impact on performance, since they're promising 30 to 40 percent improvement.
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Mohan
  • Posted on: 2015/5/28 10:18
Re: Topic of the Week: AMD Game Optimisation ! #13
Quote:

rewarder wrote:

Regarding your point that AMD is pushing in the console/entry-level market: Well I would necessarily mention these two in the same phrase. In the case of consoles it is Microsoft and Sony who tell their manufacturer (in this case AMD) what the want. AMD has then to meet their demand. If AMD or whoever is able to offer an interesting deal, then Microsoft and Sony will be interested and buy chips. When it comes to consoles, there must be entry-level chips, otherwise the console would be too expensive in the end.

Apart from that AMD has always been a chip maker as well. The problem there is that their struggling a lot to keep up with Intel in terms of IPC and on top of that AMD was bound to Globalfoundries for a long time and sutck with 32nm process technology. In the mean time their main competitor was pushing towards 22nm and now 14nm pulling away like a rocket. At this point I don't even want to start writing about architectural improvements ...

I share your opinion that the launch of the new high-end graphics cards is very important. Checking market research papers from Jon Peddie Research it becomes clear that AMD really needs to score if they don't want to lose even more ground to NVIDIA. I'm really hoping AMD is working on something like a full package. If I had some wishes free I would hope such a package includes DX12 optimization, a game bundle and a ridiculously fast card thanks to HBM memory

I think AMD can do with DX12 very well because its very much like Mantle and can benefit the performance very well.
Now only if they can pair it with good software, it will be a deal-breaker. If not, they will be far behind nVidia in GPU market like they do in CPU market with Intel. Horrible IPC and shard cache ruined their CPU division and worst of all, 5 years old chipset and socket is taking them nowhere in future.
Wake up call AMD.
Mark011 Mark011
  • Discovered the hairdryer
  • Discovered the hairdryer
  • From Italia
  • Posted on: 2015/6/2 16:07
Re: Topic of the Week: AMD Game Optimisation ! #14
still no news about new R300 series at Computex...
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Mohan
  • Posted on: 2015/6/3 8:03
Re: Topic of the Week: AMD Game Optimisation ! #15
Its "Do or Die" for AMD now.
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Mohan
  • Posted on: 2015/6/6 17:55
Re: Topic of the Week: AMD Game Optimisation ! #16
What was the result of the competition ?
Is it over ?
LucaRocchi LucaRocchi
  • Started insulating
  • Started insulating
  • From Milan, IT
  • Group: Registered Users Webmasters
  • Posted on: 2015/6/6 18:24
Re: Topic of the Week: AMD Game Optimisation ! #17
Quote:

gandharvmohan wrote:
What was the result of the competition ?
Is it over ?

Hi, yes it's over!
We will annouce all next week
Chefinal Chefinal
  • Webmaster
  • Webmaster
  • From UK
  • Posted on: 2015/6/8 13:23
Re: Topic of the Week: AMD Game Optimisation ! #18
Thanks all for getting involved. The winners of the copetition are - gandharvmohan and Mark011.

Please email m.robinson@ocaholic.ch to claim your prize.

Regards

Mike
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Mohan
  • Posted on: 2015/6/11 8:12
Re: Topic of the Week: AMD Game Optimisation ! #19
Thank you very much.
Congratulations Mark011
Re: Topic of the Week: AMD Game Optimisation ! [Graphics Cards] - ocaholic