Browsing this Thread: 1 Anonymous Users
LucaRocchi LucaRocchi
  • Started insulating
  • Started insulating
  • From Milan, IT
  • Group: Registered Users Webmasters
  • Posted on: 2015/7/16 19:18
ASUSPRO BU401 - user experience #1
After few years with huge and slow notebook I finally decided to pick up a ultrabook without any stupid dedicated GPU since I need it just for work or internet/movie. I checked around over and over and at the end the final decision was about XPS 13 or a uncommon (at least to me) ASUS PRO. XPS 13 is very nice with a higher resolution but the gap of price it's also huge and too much for my point of view (1200euro vs 770euro). So at the end I went for a ASUS PRO BU401LA. I have done some pictures that you can find on following

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Inside there is a classic i7-4650U (HD5100) with 4GB DDR3 onboard and Kingston 128GB SSD. For sure it is not lighning fast but still good enough for me, if I need power I still have my X99 daily rig. Since "more is always better" I opened my new ultrabook and I found out that there is (was ) a empty slot for DDR3 (amazing) and also a additional SATA slot for HDD/SSD 7mm. In other words the Kingston drive is on mSATA..crazy! So I decided to put more RAM that is always good and maybe in future I will add a small HDD. I need only the HDD cage and I have no idea where I can find it (update: it's available on asusparts.eu)

Resized Image

This is how looks a different version. But like you can see there are few slots around.
Resized Image

Regarding the other main aspects..there is a 14" 1600x900 display with matte panel, that is what I prefer usually. The CPU features vPro Technology and regarding security there are fingerprint reader and TPM. The chassis features a matte-gray surface with a chassis very light and thin since is made in carbon fiber and aluminum.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

With the backlight set @ max, wifi and some mix usage I reached six hours with a full charge.

The keyboard produces the classic mechanic noise that is amazing, the key travel is fast and precise during typing. There is a white backlight on different levels. Since is a 14" there is also enough space for a proper touchpad (multi touch) with separated buttons.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

I will use it a lot during next month and I will let you know how it performs. Honestly I didn't know this series of ultrabook, they should promote them more.

Edited by LucaRocchi on 2015/7/16 20:04:38
Edited by LucaRocchi on 2015/7/16 20:51:17
Edited by LucaRocchi on 2015/7/18 7:32:50
LucaRocchi LucaRocchi
  • Started insulating
  • Started insulating
  • From Milan, IT
  • Posted on: 2015/7/28 16:00
Re: ASUSPRO BU401 - user experience #2
Little update

I'm stupid, I have ordered left bracket but not also the right one..so basically I have to ask what exactly I need on ASUSparts because I don't want do 3 differents orders.

On store there is left and right bracket that I need for sure but also a "FPS bracket" that I have no idea what is exactly. I will update the thread when I have all the goodies here
LucaRocchi LucaRocchi
  • Started insulating
  • Started insulating
  • From Milan, IT
  • Posted on: 2015/10/4 15:51
Re: ASUSPRO BU401 - user experience #3
Today I have finally installed W10 Pro, basically I have done an update from W7 Pro to W10 Pro. The update itself is quite long despite I have a fast connection and a SSD but after all I can say that everything works! The only app that is not working 100% is Power4Gear Hybrid, I don't see popup anymore

The system is faster and battery life is better, during next days I will test it more!

Resized Image

rewarder rewarder
  • Webmaster
  • Webmaster
  • From Zürich CH
  • Posted on: 2015/10/4 17:14
Aw: ASUSPRO BU401 - user experience #4
Nice thread Luca!
Are you still happy with this notebook?
LucaRocchi LucaRocchi
  • Started insulating
  • Started insulating
  • From Milan, IT
  • Posted on: 2015/10/4 18:08
Re: Aw: ASUSPRO BU401 - user experience #5
Quote:

rewarder wrote:
Nice thread Luca!
Are you still happy with this notebook?

Thanks!
Yap yap works good and since I don't run any games is perfect!

Maybe but maybe, the 12.1" (BU201) was even better but it is without SSD and I didn't want change HDD on dayone. I wanted something ready out of the box. At the moment I have the SSD mSATA and the slim HDD, it's amazing because I haven't to pickup any external HDD or so.
LucaRocchi LucaRocchi
  • Started insulating
  • Started insulating
  • From Milan, IT
  • Posted on: 2015/10/17 14:42
Re: ASUSPRO BU401 - user experience #6
Finally I have installed also the other SSD inside and now it's perfect for my needs. Now I have enough free space with also a very good speed! I have just done a backup with my dear friend Acronis True Image, from SSD to SSD, in like 20mins!

Resized Image
Re: ASUSPRO BU401 - user experience [Notebooks / PCs] - ocaholic